cookie control

Thursday, 21 July 2016

Passing Place Update

While working through the final edit of Passing Place I noticed in passing that the word count had crossed the 100,000 word barrier. Word count is not something I habitually look at when writing, except when doing essays for the OU, or writing articles. The story takes as many words as it takes at the end of the day, how long it is, is not really relevant. However, that said, passing 100k is an oddly pleasing achievement, and one that is worth noting with a smile.

Editing hell is as ever hellish, and I generally find that while editing for every word I take out I add two elsewhere. so it's not that surprising that a 96k document has grown by 4k in the first 8 chapters (they are longish chapters to be fair)

By the time the final edit is done I suspect a few thousand more words will creep in. 'Slice and dice your manuscript' has never been my way. Mainly I think because I write fast when I do first drafts and press on with story, which occasionally leaves me with  the bare bones that need fleshing out in successive drafts.

As it stands my latest revised deadline is the end of September, though I suspect that will move again. I am with good old Douglas Adams when it comes to deadlines

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”  Douglas Adams

At least mine are self-imposed. But the 'Coming Soon' is at least vague enough to be honest. I am however making progress and its drawing closer to the Passing place opening its doors to the public.


Update... august
11 chapters done and it's grown once more, but the final edit processes at least.